COMMERCE MIDDLE SCHOOL
Commerce Middle School acknowledges that good grooming and personal attire positively affect student achievement and conduct. Commerce Middle’s dress code is designed to reduce the likelihood of distraction or disruption and to maintain an academic focus in the classroom and on campus. Students will be expected to observe modes of dress, styles of hair and personal grooming that support the learning atmosphere at our school. If in the judgement of an administrator or a member of the staff a student is dressed inappropriately, the parent will be called to bring the student appropriate clothing. If it is not possible for appropriate clothing to be provided, students may be assigned in-school suspension. A record of dress code violations will be kept with consequences assigned for repeat violations.
In cooperation with the school, please support the following guidelines…
- Clothing should be fitted so that there is no midriff or underwear showing when standing, bending, seated, or moving.
- All pants must be worn at the natural waistline. Sagging pants (worn below the waistline) will not be permitted.
- All clothing should be clean and in good repair. Holes, slashes or rips above the fingertips cannot show skin or undergarments.
- All leggings or other form-fitting pants must be accompanied by a shirt or top that reaches fingertip length and provides sufficient coverage of the posterior area.
The following items of clothing are not permitted:
- Outer clothing which resembles pajamas, underwear, or scrubs.
- Shirts/blouses with shoulders or straps that are less than two inches wide.
- Undergarments must not be seen.
- Midriff and low-cut tops
- Sleeveless shirts for males
- Miniskirts and short shorts - Shorts and skirts must be longer than mid- thigh length, even when worn with leggings or tights. Mid-thigh length is defined as a maximum of 6” above the knee of the wearer or not above the fingertip of the wearer with the arm fully extended.
- Hats, caps, bandannas, doo rags, skull caps, head wraps or any other kind of head covering. Hoods may not be worn inside the building.
- Curlers, combs, picks, sunglasses and metal chains
- Bedroom shoes
- Clothing/jewelry with profanity, vulgarities, or other offensive language, references to alcohol, tobacco, or drug use, gangs, weapons, or sexually suggestive items
- Clothing/jewelry (including wallet chains) that could be used as a weapon
- Body piercing (in which the body is punctured and decorated with a ring or piece of jewelry that attaches in similar fashion as an earring) for either sex will be restricted to the ears only. All other visible body piercings (nose, lips, eyelid, tongue,etc.) will not be allowed.
Administrative discretion applies to all of the above. Words such as extreme, inappropriate, distracting, tight, baggy, offensive,revealing, etc., are subjective by nature. If any unusual situations relative to dress, accessories, or grooming arises which is not specifically covered in this policy, the school principal shall have the authority to rule on the appropriateness of the attire. Exceptions may apply to students participating or taking part in student-related activities/functions and other activities approved by the school administration.